Tips for proofreading for yourself and other
The meaning of proofreading can not be overlooked. Since the proofreading often can be a boring project, below are some tips that can make the process more manageable.
Tips for reviewing your own work
One of the most important difficulties in proofreading is that it is very difficult to correct our own work. If we often check our own document, we see what we want to see rather than when we actually wrote. This can lead to missed errors. Below are some tips on the proofreading of your own work:
- slower. Correction line line by line and focus on each line. Sometimes I cover the rest of the paragraph with a piece of empty paper, so I look at only one line around a line.
- Know your own weaknesses. Create a list of shared errors and check each document for these errors, a single time.
- do not prove for each error at once. Rather, a proof of spelling, one for typos, one for the consistency of word use, one for formatting, etc.
- read your work. This is often made aware of run-on phrases and other mistakes that you do not catch by just reading the document itself.
- eliminate distractions. Careful machining requires a great concentration. Therefore, it is a good idea to turn off distractions like the radio, TV and mobile phone.
- make a hard copy. Always print your work instead of reading directly from the computer screen.
- sleep on it. Before you start editing your document, wait one night, preferably longer. The goal is that your brain can forget what you wrote, so it sees what is really written, not what it expects. You will be amazed how many more mistakes begin!
- Do not be afraid to cut. Almost all of us are worthwhile. If you do not justify a point, statement, sentence or Word, remove it. Concession should always be your goal.
- Do not head lines, bibliographies, tables, page numbers or footnotes. mistakes often lurk at these places.
- Check the numbers. Many mistakes can happen here. You do not want to write that your product costs $ 10,000 if it really costs $ 10.00.
- Pay attention to homonyms. Homonyms are words that share the same pronunciation or spelling, but medium completely different things. Mix the words "accept" and "except" can completely change the meaning of a sentence!
- read it backwards. This is a good trick to prevent your brain from automatically "incorrect words" in "false words". To break this pattern, you can read the text backwards, Word to Word.
- repeat. Unfortunately, a round of machining is usually not sufficient. Do not forget to check the revised document after corrections have been made. First check if all corrections have been made and read the document again to make sure you have not missed the first time!
Tips for reviewing the work of others
Most of us were asked to check the writing of another if it is a friend, a family member or a colleague. For many, this is a dubious task; In fact, however, it is often easier to correct the writing of another than their own.Although there is no real way to edit, there are some tips here to make the process a bit easier:
- Questions about clear instructions. For example, does the author want to check the content of the paper or only mechanics, such as grammar and spelling?
- Avoid meaningless changes. Maybe they prefer the word "happy" to the word "glad", but unless the change is not significantly improved that the document is significantly improved, you should bite your tongue! .
- Allow your shortcomings. If you are not sure if you are not sure that the correct placement of a comma indicates or is uncertain whether a word is used correctly, you do not advise you. Flag the article simply so that the writer can continue to explore it if he or she chooses.
- be nice. Avoid hard comments like "I have no idea what you mean!" Rather, you phrase your comments diplomatically in the form of suggestions or questions, d. H. "I would suggest clarifying this point so that your reader understands it completely. Maybe you can specify examples."
- Be specific. Instead of the splitter that a paragraph is confusing, certain proposals offer improvement.
- be consistent. Although they do not have to learn standard proof reading characters, their editing should be consistent. In other words, use the same symbols / markers for the same errors throughout the design.
- Use the lane change function. This is the easiest way to make your changes and comments for the writer obviously. It also allows the author to easily accept / reject their changes.
- Proof not for any kind of error at once. This tip applies to all forms of editing. Rather give a proof of spelling, one for typos, one for consistency of word use, one for formatting, etc.
- Do not hesitate to carry out outlets. Your destination, as an editor, is the author to facilitate the writer's most concise. So if you do not believe that a word, a sentence or even paragraph strengthens the message of the writer, do not hesitate to take it away.
- Make yourself available to discuss your edits and suggestions. Written comments may be unclear and impersonal. Therefore, it is a good practice to sit with the writer to answer any questions he or she has checked your comments / edits.
- stay positive. Try to show something positive about writing, and make your praise as long and detailed as your deepest criticism.
Correction skills do not develop overnight, but improve with practice. You can develop these skills by checking your own work, as well as the work of others.
Tags: services, essay, best, instructions
Buy custom securities online - Affordable Essay Service
Buy Custom Research Paper - Affordable Essay Service
Buy custom term paper - Excellent Essay Services
Buy Dissertation online - Top Rated Essay Services